Caution: Needles are skin-piercingly sharp.
- Only the first third of your needle does the work. No need to bury your needle into your work pad.
- Occasionally lift your fiber away from the pad to avoid it becoming permanently attached.
- Needles are brittle. Be sure your needle goes in and comes back out using the same angle to avoid breaking it.
Materials and tools needed for this project:
- Felting needles (38 or higher gauge recommended)
- Felting pad (foam most often used)
- Bamboo skewer
- Autumn colored roving (approximately 1/4 ounce)
- Acorn cap and glue (optional)
Creating the leaf:
- Place a leaf shaped cookie cutter on a backing pad. (You may use a paper pattern instead.)
- Fill the cookie cutter loosely with wool roving layered perpendicularly in appropriate fall colors.
- Slide your needle down all around the inside edge of the cookie cutter twice to to create a silhouette, before lightly tacking down the rest. Make sure to gently work the fiber into all the nooks and crannies. Add more fiber as needed.
- Once you have lightly compacted your wool, gently lift your fiber from the mat and flip both the cutter and wool over. Lightly needle the “backside”.
- When smoothed down, pop your piece out of the cutter. Finger your leaf to check for sparse areas and smooth out the needle marks.
- Gently poke the edges to clean them up.
- Needle additional fiber to fill in or sculpt areas as desired.
- Add realism by folding and poking to curl your leaf.
Creating Acorn Nut:
- Pull a small amount of fiber and wrap it tightly around a skewer with more fiber at the top than the bottom.
- Carefully avoiding the skewer, use your needle to tack the fiber together.
- Add more fiber, tacking as you go until it is a bit larger than the size you want your finished acorn to be.
- Push the fiber off the skewer and continue to shape it by carefully needling to compact the fiber.
- Roll between your hands to smooth out your acorn.
- Create your own cap by felting a circle with a ridge, forming a little cup. Needle your cap onto the top of your nut.
Optional: Needle your nut into an actual acorn cap.
- Remove an acorn from it’s cap. Add a bit of glue to the cap then your felted acorn into the cap.
- Once the glue is dry needle your acorn to your leaf.